.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Friday, March 02, 2007

Reporting from National and Liberations Days

Kuwait National and Liberation Day weekend: a time in which Kuwait celebrates her nationhood as established in the 1960s and liberation from Iraq in the early 1990's. In the weeks preceeding the events, Kuwaiti flags are posted everywhere from boulevards to buildings. Lights often decorate buildings in the formation of the Kuwaiti flag. Stores begin to carry an array of Kuwait pride items, such as hats and pins with the Kuwait flag on them. Also in stock is an abundance of aerosol cans full of foam.

Nobody can tell me how foaming began here, but so many people do it. Parents encourage their small children to spray foam on stopped or moving vehicles and pedestrians. It is absolute insanity. I saw a small boy, about 3 years old, hanging out the front passenger side window with a spray can. Traffic in the downtown area slows to a halt and a drive that is normally 20 minutes can take more than 2 hours. During daylight, there are few problems, but once the sun goes down, it is dangerous!

I did not get great pictures of the madness, but here is a tame indication...









And after this brilliant view, as my friend and I were walking from the grocery store to a coffee shop to meet up with another friend, we saw this in the back of some guy's vehicle... The animals are going to be sold at Friday Market.








As for me, life is good. Hopefully I will soon have a car of my own.

Please write, I'm a little lonely for correspondance and photos from home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home