.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Monday, January 16, 2006

and meanwhile, back in Kuwait

Greetings all!

I came home to Kuwait a few days ago, significantly suntanned, considerably healthier and slightly thinner than when I departed three weeks ago. We returned on the 13th and Emir (head of state) died early on the morning of the 15th when we were to start school. Much of the city (including school) is closed to mourn for three days. The official mourning period is 40 days but things close only for 3 days. It is a much more serene Kuwait these days. Not much traffic, not much in the way of consumerism, it is actually quite enjoyable. I walked to the nearby mall with some friends at midday yesterday. There were families and fishers out by the water, enjoying the calm cool weather. It finally feels like a place where I am happy to live. It still smells bad but the cooler temperatures and the rain have made the place much prettier. The mourning makes everyone more docile.

As for India, there is so much to say but so much that cannot be spoken, only experienced. I loved the journey and though I did not see or do many things I had hoped to, it worked out well and I had a lovely and restful time. I met fabulous people, both locals and other tourists and enjoyed the goodness of people in the world.

I got off and on moving trains and buses (they were moving slowly) and never once thought it unsafe. I can drink from a water bottle and certain cups without my lips touching. I ate spicy food with my hands and didn't flinch. I learned to bargain and to walk away if the deal wasn't good enough.

The temples, the religions, the architecture, the politics are all very intriguing but I have not even scratched the surface of understanding. I feel differently inside though I cannot explain it. The sense of gratitude, inner calm and universal goodness will carry me through months, and perhaps lifetimes, to come.

Love and goodness to all.

By the way, please write to me! Anyone? Everyone? Where are you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home