.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas!

Greetings all you loyal blog followers!

This one is special because it is written from an internet cafe in Goa on the west coast of India. I am on a glorious vacation of sandy beaches, yoga, parties and beautiful sunsets. Actually, I just today arrived in Goa from Mumbai on a 1st class sleeper train. First class is definitely open to interpretation! I did manage to get some sleep on my top cramped bunk..and the experience of taking a train for 10 hours is something else...but it was fun. My travelling companion Bronwyn, and I, were likely the only white people on the train- or certainly in our 30 passenger car. Thye funny thing is, I no longer feel WHITE like I did when I first moved to Kuwait. I've stopped noticing such differences awhile ago. Six months ago if I'd come to India, I would have felt as though I stood out so much. But now I don't. I don't feel like a foreigner in the this part of the world.

After taking the train and the bus to the next town, we took motorcycle cabs here to the Anjuna. It was fun- to feel the wind in my hair, the sun on my face and see the life all around me.

India is warm and welcoming. The people are friendly and kind and I am enjoying being here so far, even in the hectic city of Mumbai. Of course, take that with the notion I've never seen poverty like this before either. It's devastating in many ways and hard not to give away all your money or buy food for everyone who is hungry. A few rupees go a long way though personal resources can only go as far as one is able to stretch them.

We'll spend a couple days here in Anjuna and move on south to Karnataka to see lovely water falls and then to Kerala to boat in the backwaters and attend a yoga session at an ashram. Before I go into full yoga mode, I am drinking the local refreshing beverage, Kingfisher beer. It's nice to feel civilized and have an occasional drink with dinner.

The safest and happiest of holidays to all.

I send you my love, peacefulness, freedom and gratitude,
R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home