.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I am a resident!

Well everyone, I am officially a resident of Kuwait- it says so in my passport. That means I can leave and re-enter the country without trouble. Alas, the trip to Oman for Eid is paid for and a definite go. I am so excited to go and to see the turtles hatch.

This has been a Canadian moment:
Yesterday a fellow Canadian was talking about a lobster fest she had been to in Ontario. A friend of hers had lobster shipped from Nova Scotia that day and until cooking time kept them in a canoe of ice. I had a huge pang of homesickness as she said that. How nice would it be to have a canoe full of ice and frosty beverages? Only in Canada...

Tonight at our apartments, we celebrate fitoor.

Fitoor (has several spellings in English because the Arabic to English translation is phonetic) is the breaking of the fast at sunset during Ramadan.

It's the singles' turn to cook and I will be presenting the fabulous Thai noodle salad that I suspect will become as much a legend here as in Tisdale. Yummy.

Weather report...the temperature has taken a dip down to 20some degrees celsius. This means it is nearly 30 degrees cooler than when we arrived in August. It is so fantastic. It feels like the first day of spring after an oppressively cold winter in Saskatchewan. Finally, the oppressive heat is over. It does actually feel quite cool, as in long sleeve weather. So nice, although the morning swims are a bit cool.

A lesson in Kuwait law: you can be arrested for PDA (public displays of affection) even as subtle as a kiss. But only if it's someone of the opposite gender. People of the same gender hold hands and kiss on the cheek (minds out of the gutter please) all the time. The culture sometimes baffles me.

So friends, I leave you with that and will update you when I have more interesting news to report. Possibly not until after Oman. Please keep writing and commenting. I do miss you and want to know how you're doing and what you are up to.

Namaste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home