.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Bless the U.S.

Hello all!

I am feeling physically better but mentally exhausted. Always so many details and processes to learn in a new place. Concerts are coming right up. The band concert is one week from today, on my birthday. How nice, at least I have plans.

Last evening was Happy Hour at the American Embassy. We had to sign up in advance at school as they know better than to let in random people. After handing in my newly acquired Civil ID and walking through the security check, we were shown in to "the back". We were shown around by a parent of some students at the school.

As we walked into the happy hour area, I felt an overwhelming sense of familiarity. Country music was blaring, fresh popcorn sat in an oil popper beside the door, and a full bar was open and set up like any small town North American one. The moment of recognition took my breath away. As the evening progressed and the majority of people in attendance were teachers from my school and parents of students, I thought I could easily be in Tisdale. Drinks and food were cheap and good. It was dark but still plenty warm enough to sit outside and enjoy the fully grown palm trees and the grass. As my friend Katie put it, "This is so civilized."

I have no other news. I have been busy with work. I judged at a debate and speech tournament (known here as FORENSICS) last weekend. This weekend we have a teacher conference. I desparately need a break since I have been at school every single day (including weekends) except one over the last three weeks.

And on that note, I must stop wasting time and get to work.
All the best, my friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home