.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Friday, January 05, 2007

Inner peace will have to wait

This is the first chapter in my trip to India. It is probably the only chapter to appear on the blog, as it is the only chapter that appeared in my personal journal of the trip. I had a fabulous time, as I always do, while travelling. I decided to opt out of the cold Rishikesh trip as a nice man at the government tourist agency convinced me I should go on a tour of Rajasthan instead.

So I had a driver and stayed in acceptable places and avoided most crazy methods of transportation. No trains, no jumping on and off moving buses, no motorcycles...not quite as exciting and life-altering as last time, but I met some amazing people (locals, not foreigners) and went to some good yoga classes.

In Jaipur, I went to yoga in Central Park at 6:45am- it was chilly like a spring morning in SK... There were two groundsheets layed out- one for men, one for women, and two instructors on stage, conducting the class in Hindi. Being the only foreigner at the class, I was elevated to celebrity status and had some nice conversations with other pupils afterwards. WE could have organized translation if there were enough English speakers...but I was it. It was good and I knew what was going on.

The next place, Pushkar, was as predictable as Paris. Typical Indian tourist town- folks who've been on the road varying amounts of time and wearing corresponding looks of enlightenment or disenchantment. The whole town is a market of miscellaneous goods- from books to scarves to jewellery to clothes to veg. restaurants and guest houses. It is a pilgrimmage town for Brahmins who I managed to avoid. Apparently, many people get cheated by these holy men. I suppose into all organized religion a little corruption must fall...

But I stayed at a guesthouse that was outside the town and it was the best accommodation of the trip. The guys working at that place were really cool and I talked and ate with them. There was also the most delightful yoga teacher who was so happy at my enthusiasm for the subject. I could have spent more time studying with him, and he didn't even want me to pay for the classes. This is rare in India- everyone wants a tip. If you drop something and someone picks it up for you, they expect a tip. Okay, slight exaggeration but not too far from the truth.

Rajasthan is a lovely state. It is mostly rural (small towns and much farming) and desert. There are many forts from the time of the Mogul empire and some palaces and of course, many temples. It was breathtaking and amazing, though...sadly, I did not take streetscape pictures of people and modes of transit sharing the same road. Camel carts, old Massey Fergussens, cows, goats, herders, bicycles seating 1-3 people, motorcycles often occupied by a whole family, small cars...all on the same road.

The traditional dress (women in bright saris and scarves, men in turbans) pop out against the beige of the desert and compliment colours the farming areas.

I guess I will have to tell more stories later, as I want to add a couple pictures then sign off to head to bed. School tomorrow...



1 Comments:

  • Hello Mona Scona!

    Happy New Year to You! I woke up the other morning wanting to travel to India again, sigh. Christmas here was very busy, but had some nice, very lazy, time out at Darren's family cabin. Lots of Bailey's and coffee! I reunited with Dominika after about a year and a half which was very nice. And (you would be proud) I put on a holiday Brunch! for about 10 or 12 people. It was yummy. Just wanted to send you my love! Jen

    By Blogger Anon, at 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home