.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Thursday, October 19, 2006

ramadan, coffee shops and traffic

Hi Everyone!

Hoping you are enjoying the autumn/early winter weather. I am not bragging, but it's still in the 30s here during the day, and it's off and on humid.

Ramadan has been draining, as has school in general. My schedule this year allows me to rarely eat during the day, and since we cannot eat or drink water in public sun up (5:30am) to sundown (5:40pm) it's difficult to remain nourished and hydrated. For example, I went to a market today for awhile and really needed a snack and some water but couldn't have either so I faded FAST. I am also tired from trying to prepare for everything at school.

We got two extra days off for EID, the holiday following Ramadan. It makes sense, otherwise next week would have been a two day school week and let's face it, not a great turn out from the student population.

Funny incident of the week: I was walking home from the Hilton (about 20 minutes from our residence) on Monday. I was not too far form the hotel exit when a young man (15ish) of Indian heritage asked if he could use my phone. This is only integral to the story because no Kuwaiti would ever do such a thing and because the consequence for an Indian running off with a Westerner's phone would be quite severe. I obliged because he had a story about waiting for a friend who was really late. So he spoke to his friend (in a language I did not understand) and returned my phone to me. I kept walking and felt just a little bad for hesitating. then I received a text message thanking me for "letting my friend use your phone". I responded with "welcome" and then received a second message, asking me if I want to be friends, "don't take me wrong". Honestly. So I did not respond. I suspect it was one of the security guards who works outside the Hilton at the gate. Silly me for being friendly and wishing people good days. Darn friendly Canucks. The implication here, near as I can tell, is if you are female and you are out in public without a man, you are interested in all men. As in, I exist, therefore I want to be with you...Good thing I ahvea sense of humour or it could potentially really annoy me. Too funny.

A new Starbucks opened really close to our apartments- 5 minutes to walk, I reckon. I would prefer to avoid Starbucks but sometimes it's hard. I have saved lots of petty coffee cash this month due to the aforementioned Ramadan restrictions. No going for coffee after school or on the way to school. Can't jsut stop for a quick coffee until evening and by then it's time to stop consuming caffeine.

As for traffic, going out in the evenings is getting worse every day now. What is often a 20 minutes drive becomes 40 minutes or more. Yoy. Tomorrow I will brave this to go downtown to the Chocolate Bar with a woman from the jazz band. Then we will go to the Starbucks to hear another guy in the band play several different instruments (badly). And it doesn't matter how late we are out because NO SCHOOL on Saturday. I am so glad I have found some fellow band geeks to hang with. They are really nice people.

Because people are nice more often than not. Keep believing.

lovingly, and just a little bit lonely for folks who really know me,
R

P.S. if anyone wants to meet me somewhere at Xmas, I am open to suggestions. My current plan is Rishikesh in India but could be persuaded to return to Eastern Europe or just about anywhere in reasonable flying distance. Thought of going back to Canada- one month's salary for the return ticket. A little pricey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home