.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Saturday, November 18, 2006

maybe i am a huge egomaniac

The last weeks have been crazy...and then I started thinking it had been awhile since I had written, but it was only a week ago. I have 50 posts on my blog, 51 after this. Perhaps this is a sign of egotism. Everyone MUST want to hear about ME, no?

I conducted the Middle and High School band concert last night. The students did pretty well. It was not perfect, but it was good. The first concert of the year is not usually the best one. The great thing is I have learned to have fun at concerts and I think that really transfers to the students' success. As I am relaxed and enjoying myself, they realize it will be okay- they must be doing well for me to be calm and collected. Now I must get to that point about two weeks earlier. It's all a learning experience.

I was thinking of something my mom said to me in an e-mail, how she prefers I am happy here rather than miserable in Tisdale. I am not happier in Kuwait and I was not miserable in Tisdale per se. Here I am constantly challenged to think, rethink and modify my ideals. I hear myself say things and wonder where they came from. "Yeah, sure, we could go to that person's house but honestly, I'd rather get my nails done." Anyone recognize that voice? Yes, it was MINE! And it is really that my skin gets so dry here that my cuticles and feet are a complete mess if I do not get regular treatments. That aside, I am happier in general as I get older and wiser and develop further stress coping skills. It makes a huge difference.

So the point, though I could write a master's thesis on the topic, is that I need to be challenged in some way. Travel and culture are the best ways for me to be challenged as they do not create undue amounts of stress, but force me to reflect and to accept differences.

In Kuwait, I have met some of the kindest people (mainly expats) in the world. I guess because we are all looking for adventure and perhaps to find our soul mates, we are all open to new ideas and people. I think I have become a better person since moving overseas. I think I have become more open minded and easy going, in action and thought. I have learned to interact with people in more positive ways and to let go of fears and simply do things I want to do. I am not bound by what other people tell me a person can and cannot do.

This past weekend at our local educators Professional Development Conference, I presented on two different topics- rhythm reading in music and yoga as stress management. Both went well, especially the yoga workshop- it reminded me of those days in my classroom at TMSS when my lovely and devoted yoga pupils would strive for greater flexibility. Fun times. I was not unhappy in Tisdale. Here, I am on an emotional rollercoaster but I am learning to cope in a calm and mindful manner. We shall see what happens but I am learning to take it as it comes.


all the best,
R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home