.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Monday, September 18, 2006

big parties and small pleasures

To begin, the small pleasures:

1. Practicing guitar (I am becoming one of those people who turns down social invitations to practice, though I'm not that good yet)
2. Joining a jazz band, playing the trumpet again! And meeting other adults!
3. Kids coming to tell me they miss band because they couldn't take it this year.
4. The Blues and B.B. King who celebrated his 81st birthday this Saturday
5. My lovely colleague who performed in guitar class today, some of her own material. She is a fabulous blues singer, a decent guitar player and a Canadian to boot.

And now for the Big Parties:
This past weekend was the annual "Masked" Rugby Ball. Most folks who wore masks actually just put them on top of their heads instead of over their faces. I kept mine in my handbag most of the night. The Rugby Ball is a fundraiser for the (you guessed it, rugby team) and is one of those ridiculous parties I may have mentioned before. You pay heaps of money for a ticket then you get all gussied up, perhaps consume too much contraban of varying quality (I refrained from this) and hang out in a fancy ballroom at the Hilton. You get a fancy-ish dinner and then there is usually bad music and bad dancing. As with any high schoolish seeming party, many people get together at this event. I also refrained from this.

I had a fun a time and danced despite the bad music. I met some new people and had some good laughs. I also realized that I have quite a few nice friends here, and I do like to get dolled up every little once in a while.

Since most of this dribble is not that exciting to many of you, I will attach a couple photos for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!

My friends and me. The one on the right is my summer travelling partner. The one in the middle is one of my floormates in the apartments.

Captain of the Rugby Team, one of the wittiest people I have met. He is a great friend and oh so English.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home