.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

If you're out there...

Greetings Friends and Family! (surely you fit in one or both of these categories)

Yesterday I learned, while reading my friend's online journal, of a tragedy that happened on September 20th in Afghanistan. I say a tragedy because there was likely more than one tragedy that day. One of my classmates from BJM, who was both a member of my graduating class and my circle of friends, was killed by a suicide bomber. If you keep up with local news in Saskatoon or Canada, you will know it was Corporal Shane Keating. Although I have not kept in touch with him, he was the kind of person you could run into every couple of years and pick up just where you had left off.

In 11th grade, after there was a death in my family and a death in a friend's family, he advised me to think of other things, happy things like babies. At that time, I thought he was right and agreed to focus on the positive. At this time, I realize he was mature and gentle beyond his teenage years. Luckily I received some photos of a friend's new baby yesterday. It was a reminder to focus on what is good. According to the media, he was delivering school supplies and food to children.

I am again reminded that life is too short to hold grudges (ich grolle nicht). Life is too precious to squander in activities you do not believe are correct. Integrity is living your life with meaning and consistently following through on your beliefs.
I am but a work in progress.

I am feeling a little bit isolated at the moment and would appreciate words from home. I know we are all busy. By the way, I am well and have a very full plate at the moment. I think of you all fondly and often.

Please remember, life is good. Be kind and gentle to those around you. If you need a positive role model, find my grandfathers and spend some time with them. Two great examples of lives well lived, filled with integrity and love.

I sign off with a healthy amount of sadness and a sincere appreciation for life,

R

1 Comments:

  • HI Mona!

    Pardon my less frequent commenting this year. My workplace has changed, and as such, so have my internet habits! I am glad you are doing well. You seem to be healthy in body (picture evidence) and mind, and spirit too I'd say. I will write you an email, because I forget what I've told you.

    LOTS OF LOVE, CAN WE GO TO THE FESTIVAL AGAIN NEXT YEAR?? JEN

    By Blogger Anon, at 11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home