.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

From zero to

sweating like a...pig? in 60 seconds. Or do we say perspiring? I seem to remember some little saying we had growing up- horses sweat, people perspire. Whatever.

This morning when I went outside to catch the bus to school, I put my sunglasses on. In about 10 seconds they were so foggy from the humidity that I could barely see. Plan B, take OFF the sunglasses. 1 minute outside in this stifling heat (45+C now) and the insane humidity is enough to knock me out. The heat is getting to everybody, for sure.

Last night I went to the grad, since the band had to play. It was fun and interesting and not quite so upscale as I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, it was in a fancy hotel and folks were dressed up, but nothing shocked me. well ,actually, the night before grad when one of the co-ordinators informed me I could only have 15 students in the band, I was a little shocked and for the next 13 hours until we got to the venue, I was feeling pretty stressed out. As it turned out, all 26 kids who signed up to play had room to be there and we could have fit a couple more.

That's just typically how people work around here. Get stressed out, get over it. Blood pressure goes up, blood pressure goes down. Honestly, it is a bit fatiguing especially at this time of year when everyone is exhausted from hard work and the heat.

I came up with a great joke for the rehearsal and my band kids were totally into it. They were looking forward to it for days. (I didn't tell them much in advance lest the secret slip out) We played the introduction to Pomp and Circumstance (the processional used for most grads) then we jumped right into about 12 measures of The Imperial March (Darth Vader theme from Star Wars). It was hilarious! At first I thought things might be too tense to pull it off, but we went with it and the kids (graduates and band students) thought it was great, as did the other adults there. Good times!

Just a little over a week now til I get a break. Bless the clean prairie air and gorgeous skies! I cannot wait for the late evening sunsets. Here we wait until 7 or 7:30pm to do anything outdoors. Sunset is about 6:30 and then it cools off enough that it's tolerable. Though a two block walk does induce a certain amount of perspiration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home