.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Random people, sleepless nights and sushi

These, my friends, area few of my favourite things. Sure, I try to be responsible and sleep enough so I can function with a full deck. I know that my phase of sleepless nights is behind me (unless I ever get around to that business of procreating, but that is an entirely different topic).

The thing about travel for me is it makes me feel I am truly alive. Seeing new things that are old things, interacting with different cultures, trying to find locations when street signs aren't posted and all I have is a crap map, forcing myself to ASK for help, to interact with RANDOM PEOPLE, to laugh with strangers who speak the same language, be it verbal or physical. You can tell so much about people by their interactions.

Our last three nights of travel: arrived late in Prague on a Friday and checked in at our YOUTH (and I mean, youthful) hostel. Nothing in their ad indicated the building was directly under a train track, so that night's sleep was nearly lost. We had a gorgeous Saturday, walking around and enjoying parks and castles, bridges and Bohemian glass. Prague is an amazing city, too bad we were among the way too many tourists to make it authentic.

So our last Saturday night, we decided to go out and asked the man at our hostel where we should go. We decided to take his advice and go to a pub called the Akropolis, where the real Czech people, not just tourists, go. After a few beverages in the lounge, we were advised we could go downstairs to the dance club as the lounge was to close at 1am. So we went downstairs and did some dancing. It was so much fun that I didn't even look at my watch until 3:15am at which time Jenna said she didn't want to know what time it was. We were distracted by a pair of hilarious guys dancing in sync and with anyone who would join in. They were wearing matching green t-shirts that had stick figures of a man and woman getting married. The caption beneath the design read "GAME OVER". It cracked me up. The one guy reminded me so much of an old friend of mine I could hardly believe it.

Then an adorable French boy was being flattering so we talked with him quite a while when I indicated to Jenna we had to go soon. She agreed and I said, "No, I mean it's twenty minutes until this place closes," to which she responded, "It's almost five?" Yes indeed, but these are the nights that remind me I am not so old as my age states. I am not as unattractive nor as dull as I often perceive myself. I only wish we had gone out more!

Sunday was rough and we were both agitated with other tourists and a little worse for war, but we still were up by 10 to go to look at tourist stuff. Then I went for a glass of wine with my new random French friend, returned to the hostel for a drink with Jenna and the next morning we were off to the airport.

Back in Kuwait, it's hot like, well, Kuwait. Unbearable during the daytime, really. I have not met all the new teachers yet but apparently there are several Western Canadians, including a young Calgarian who is excited to meet me so I can teach him to make sushi, so says my friend Joe.

With that, I will be off.

Happy 29th B-Day Susan!

I miss my friends at home but have had many hugs and feel like this is a second home, at least for the good and true friends I have made. Will post pictures soon.

all my love,
R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home