.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Sunday, November 15, 2009

On track

I have been feeling much better and I am grateful to all those of you who have been reading, writing and helping me through this time. Not surprisingly, my friend Caroline has been feeling much the same way after leaving Kuwait, and she is in beautiful, organized Switzerland. We both lack the sense of spirit and community in our new posts. We also love our jobs less.

As for me, I had some good times with my students and have been trying to only focus on the fact that, even though they are chatty, the kids are good, they are talented and funny and cute, they are sweet and they love me. And really, I am here to teach kids to play music and to love it, and at that I am succeeding.

I gave a presentation on public speaking at our Professional Development day last Friday and it went really well. I have been hearing good things about it for an entire week, and that makes me happy. Several people have asked me to present again, either for student or adults. I have done this workshop format with Forensics and Debate students in the past, and re-worked it for adults and MS kids, as I have now been doing the presentation with grade 6&7 classes. It's fun, and I feel like I am contributing, which is necessary for my professional well being.

Bashar has been to visit twice in the recent past. Three weeks ago he was here for two days with his friend Ibrahim (who I have stayed with several times in Damascus) and Ibrahim's girlfriend. It was fun to have company. Bashar was here last weekend by himself and we had a great time. We went for several walks along the Corniche, went for drinks with people from my work, I made him pancakes with maple syrup and cream for breakfast one day, and an excellent omelette the next. We shopped at some discount stores and generally had a great time laughing our heads off. We watched a movie for about forty minutes until we both fell asleep. Too funny.

Next weekend we have three days off due to Lebanese Independence Day so I think I will go to Damascus with some friends. I only got my passport back last week and am finally free to leave the country after three months. After our Monday off, we only work Tuesday and Wednesday before it is American Thanksgiving and the Eid al Hadha, so we have another extended weekend. My friend Katie will come from Kuwait for a couple days to hang out. Hurray!

I have started Arabic lessons with a private tutor, and it's going well enough, though it's HARD!!! Lebanese dialect and the local accent are much different than the classical Arabic I began to study last year in Kuwait. It's basically a slanguage here, but I am hoping to be able to converse casually and shop in Arabic by winter break. We shall see.

I am thinking of going to India (what a surprise) for winter break, to do a meditation retreat. We will see if it works out- I have to wait another week or so for a reply to my application. Otherwise, I think I will go visit Thailand and Cambodia if I can get a good price on flights.

Until then, I practice patience. And one day, I hope I can feel calm amidst the chaos that is Beirut. Peace. Shanti. Masalaam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home