.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Sometimes I simply lack inspiration, sometimes I lack time

I suppose I need not begin with an excuse such as being busy. The last week, I have been leaving work when everyone else leaves and not bringing anything home. Of course, I now feel the effects of this and am behind in my work. It is what it is- I work hard when I must and usually feel good about it.

We hosted the Arts Festival and it was insanely good. It was so lovely that afterwards I felt happy rather than relieved. I had a great team to work with- everyone pitching in to make it a great event. Sweet. I feel a bit empty now, the way I did after piano exams when I was a teenager. I think this is because I am best when I am focused on only one thing and when that thing is done, I have to put my energy and attention into so many things that I feel like I am not accomplishing anything. Just a theory.

Over spring break in early April, I travelled to Sri Lanka with four of my girl friends. It was a great trip. Sri Lanka is a beautiful island and there are many aspects of the culture and country I absolutely loved.

1. The country is largely Buddhist so folks tend to be laid back and gentle (regardless of what you hear of the Tamil Tigers on the news). Buddha statues and Stupas abound.

2. There is a social cast system in which the highest rank you can have is if you work in agriculture. Let me repeat- the best thing you can do in Sri Lanka is live off the land. Incidentally, the lowest ranking work is laundry. Not bad, really.

3. On Poya (full moon), the Buddha suggested that people engage largely in religious activity and meditation as it is typically a day when weird things happen. So every full moon, many businesses shut down, some restaurants don't serve alcohol, and people pray early in the morning (I heard chanting on the full moon morning).

4. Food is good and fresh and coconut based.

5. Tea plantations and spice gardens provide a wealth of delicious flavours.

6. From beach to mountains to jungle, the landscape is stunning.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home