.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Back in Istanbul

Night buses are sort of the way to go here- it's what all the locals are doing. Maybe night buses two nights in a row is not the best plan. Ha. I was pretty disgusting by the time I arrived in Istanbul. That said, I think tomorrow may be another night bus, this time to Cappadocia, where I plan to spend a couple days, then to Aleppo. Or I may go directly to Aleppo as there is someone there who needs me and who I miss.

I treated myself to a nice day of lounging yesterday- I found a little coffee shop run by an Edmontonian. Ha. It felt very Canadian to me- a variety of baked goods and coffees and teas, plus some new and used books for sale. In addition, there was a photo series showing- Irresistable Istanbul- and was set up by an International Women's Photography Club here. How cool. Then I went to buy a Kilim (a hand weaved carpet or wall hanging) that was a bit pricey. At this point I discovered not only is my ATM card from Kuwait NOT WORKING AT ALL here, but that my credit card limit is very low. I am down to very cash in my wallet and my mom is sending me money via wire transfer. So frustrating as I actually have plenty of money that I simply cannot access. Typical.

Today I had an early morning- headed out for an interview at a very nice school that woudl be a good place for me to work. It is a music job with a bit more of a contemporary focus (blues, rock) but also some concert band and strings, which is shared with the ES teacher. It could be really good for me though I will understand if they think I do not have the right skills for the job. I did really like both the Headmaster and the Secondary principal. The Headmaster taught in Kuwait 4 years and the Principal is from Saskatchewan. Sigh. I would love to work with the people at the school but we shall see what happens. The right thing will work out and I should do some thinking too.

I am in the perfect place for thinking- Leonard Cohen is on the speakers, and I am surrounded by an eclectic mix of jewellery and vintage clothing drinking a Turkish coffee and typing away.

So, that said, I should go as I do not want to exceed my time limit lest I run out of money. Which could happen.

Happy holidays!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home