.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A fickle mistress of travel

I love to travel, there is not doubt about it. I am a bit of a fickle mistress in that everywhere I go is my new favouite place. Currently it's Selcuk and in a couple days it may be Cappadocia and then it will be Aleppo when I get back there. But perhaps that is just how I am about everything- every thing is my favourite, kind of like the Diary of a Dog. A walk, my favourite...

I was feeling a bit lazy to get started with this trip, but now that I am in Turkey, I am totally into it, and even budget style. After landing in Istanbul, I took the city bus and ferry to get to the area of the bus station. I got a free ride to the bus station from there, then took a bus to Eceabat (Echabat) to see the Gallipli peninsula (site of the ANZAC battle in WWI). After that very cold and windy tour yesterday, I hung out with some other travellers, read for awhile and took the night bus to Selcuk. I was in that state of lucid dreaming while on the bus, like I was watching my own dreams. I arrived here at 6am, too early to do much of anything. I sat in one little tea shop at the bus depot, reading and drinking tea. As the sun rose, I knew it was going to be a gorgeous day for seeing Ephesus (Roman ruins). The sky was clear, the air fresh and the orange trees are full of fruit. I headed to an ATM to retrieve a bit of cash only to discover my ATM card from Kuwait was not working at any of the 7 machines here, my Canadian card has expired and it's nearly impossible to change 35KD (which is over 100US). I was not going to let this little foıble ruın my otherwise perfect day. I changed the US dollars I had in my wallet and am now paying everything by credit card and hoping to get cash in Istanbul. Typical nonsense.

Tonight I am takıng a bus back to Istanbul and tomorrow am going to the Turkish bath and to stay in the nice hotel I stayed in last time in Istanbul.

Selcuk is a really lovely town in a great farming area close to the sea. There are orange and lemon and pomegranate and olive trees which people were harvesting today. Ephesus was very interesting and immense. The weather is cold at night and in the morning and warm during the day. And so..it's all good.


Two more hours til my bus- good thing I have a good book to read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home