.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Xmas, New Year and Future Plans

For some reason, I have not been in the writing mood at all lately. I know people do like to check in and I hate to disappoint.

Going home for the holidays was very fun, though until I learn how to adjust to jet lag better, I don't think I will do it again. It was a treat to be able to see most of my friends and family in a short period of time. The weather in Saskatoon was great- I enjoyed the cold, crisp air. Mostly I was grateful to be there for Sue and Jaryn's wedding since I have missed so many weddings since moving to Kuwait.

Upon coming back to Kuwait, I stayed in my apartment for most of the three days until school resumed. Yuck. I was searching and applying for jobs online and hoping to hear from someone...anyone. The first week back to school was shortened by the Hijiri (Muslim) new year. I love how the moon is still unpredictable and holidays are most often based on a lunar movement (New Moon). During the 4 day week and 3 of the subsequent weekend days, I was plagued by migraine headaches and anxiety while searching for jobs. As I had arrogantly decided not to go to a job fair, I set myself up to get a job that may not be a good job. I already have a job that's great for me, and group of dear friends who are staying on another year, a good tai chi instructor and a reasonable routine, now that forensics is done.

So here I will stay for the next year, and I have not looked back for a moment since I made the decision 5 days ago. My migraines did vanish!!! The superintendent hugged me quite gleefully when I submitted my continuation of contract letter...now if only I could get a substantial raise, everything would be perfect. And I will commit to the Bangkok job fair, where all the good Asia contacts are, next year. It's a good life lesson, my friends. If you're going to do something, you've got to do it 100%. It is amazing how many times in how many ways we (or maybe just I) must revisit that lesson.

In other exciting news, George W. was here last weekend. I did not see him, but a friend who works at the embassy was telling me about his agenda for the 2 days he was in Kuwait- 20 minutes here, 20 minutes there, hanging at the Palace with the Emir. There was a lot of security in the form of police road blocks. Oh, and George W. signed the cast of one of my students. Pretty cool.

Well, I should go and get some stuff done before it's time for bed. It's cold in my classroom at school and it makes me tired during the day because I just cannot warm up. I have heaters in my room but they are ridiculously weak. Don't laugh too hard, but the temperatures are around 0-10 C and it feels so cold. I can see my breath in the mornings. Everyone, even the Canadians, are complaining. I wear my coat all day, plus scarves and pashminas. I just remembered yesterday that I had gloves so I am going to wear them tomorrow! Then my fingers won't freeze up when I am doing work on the computer. Yessss!

Here is a little glimpse of some of our forensics crew heading over to Maki Waves, a sushi restaurant above the water, for our windup. They look cold, don't they?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home