.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Remembering Munich

I am back in Kuwait after my awesome trip to Germany. Absolutely no regrets about missing the Regina Folk Fest now. It would have been great but I loved my trip.

The Black Forest was lovely, though I did not hike. It's nice to get into the more rural areas of a country, in my opinion. I bought several nice classical recordings in Freiburg, which was a treat.

I loved Munich- a fabulous pedestrian city with great energy. I visited the Dachau memorial from there, which was the central concentration camp where many brutal ideas were hatched. It is amazing to think only 70 years ago people were treating one another in such a horrific manner it makes the eyes tear and the stomach turn.








While I was visiting Munchen (Munich) there was a celebration of gay pride, wherein there were rainbow flags, drag queens and concerts all about Karlsplatz and Marienplatz (the main pedestrian squares). 70 years ago...no such thing, these folks would have been shipped to a work camp where they would likely have died from poor health or suicide.

The day of my visit to Dachau, I spent the evening hanging out with a lovely Australian called Stu. We drank some local brew and talked about travel and enjoyed the Hofbrauhaus which was complete with a German polka band featuring an accordian player whose profile was a doppelganger to Bill Z. from Tisdale.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home