.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Bloody Brits!

As per usual, life has been pretty hectic here in Kuwait. A couple days after my trip to Beirut, I came down with a nasty stomach flu and was unable to eat anything but rice, toast and rice cakes for several days. I had to go home from school- my second sick day in 6 years of teaching! All I could do was sleep and figure out where I could be in closest comfortable proximity to the bathroom. How fun...

After 6 days, I felt brand new again. Then I started having some sort of allergic reaction/cold in light of the changing season. I have been exhausted lately- spent most of yesterday sleeping on the sofa.

Thursday at school we had a morning of parent conferences and an afternoon of working on unit plans. At night, we had a jazz band gig. We were playing at some British ball, a Remembrance Day thing. They called it a Poppy ball. Some folks from the organization came to one of our rehearsals a few weeks ago to see if they realyl wanted us to play, and they decided that they did. So Thursday, we hauled music stands, a keyboard, speakers, etc. to the Hotel Ball Room in which we were playing, set everything up, did a sound check before guests began to arrive, waited to play (we started an hour late) then were sent off three songs into our second set as the people prefer dancing to the top 40 remix of Saturday Night Fever, Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, Grease Mix, etc. The music you hear at any crap dance party in the world. Maybe don't get a big band in then.

We spent a total of one hour playing, about one and a half hours on set up and take down, plus driving over and moving stuff there and taking it back, plus waiting for nearly 4 hours between the sound check and performance. Sure, we get paid for the gig, but it was so annoying. One of the guys in the band (who is English) rolled his eyes and said," Bloody Brits. Sometimes I wish I weren't one of them." One of the organizers came out to thank us and went on about how some tastes were just more plebian than his while he smoked his cigar in my face. Whatever.

The week was good otherwise. Tai Chi class on Sundays followed by yoga in my apartment. Monday band practice, Tuesday meeting and a walk with a friend/fellow Saskatonian,





Wednesday a trip to the Chocolate bar with all four of us in pink shirts. The trouble with the Chocolate Bar is everything is so high in sugar and caffeine that I was shaking afterwards and seriously depressed the next day from the subsequent sugar low. It was fun while it lasted, though.




I think that's all for now. The next two weeks will be very busy as the first school band concert of the season is coming up, plus all sorts of meetings. Just under a month until I'm back in Cairo for the Debate tournament. That will be my fourth time in Cairo. Crazy!

be well...I'm off ot bed.

1 Comments:

  • Hi! Mmmmm chocolate bar! You sound so busy! I am currently sitting lazily on my couch trying to motivate myself to go in to work and get some reports done! All the best!

    By Blogger The Kruger Family, at 3:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home