.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Sunday, August 28, 2005

It's all about the food, baby!

Salaam!
I have now been here in Kuwait for 8 days and it does feel like a lifetime in many ways. I like it and am becoming accustomed to the heat. The first 5 or so days here I couldn't believe or understand that the actual temperature was as hot as is is. I guess that one of the tricks they have here is to cap off the reported temperature at 49 celsius because at 50 plus degrees, people are not permitted to work outdoors. (sort of like a snow day) Half of the city is under construction or repair and the workers (or slaves, if you will) don't contest the reported temperature, nor do they demand appropriate working conditions. Human rights isn't a big thing here. Many of the workers are immigrants who work long days and are housed in tents for sleep. They are paid meagre wages and are relatively destitute.(coworkers' input in the previous statements, but also based on personal observations). Reminds me a little of the Chinese working on the railway in Canada.


One thing about this town: it very much comes alive in the evening. Grocery shops are busiest at 9:00pm and most are open until midnight or later. It's sort of bizarre. The grocery store situation is pretty good, incidentally. There is one about 10 minutes by foot from the apartments.

The food situation:
There are heaps of delicious produce to be found. Much of it is imported from the region and some from America, Australia, New Zealand and Holland. The further the food travels, of course the more expensive it is. Some of the regional items are fresh Saudi dates and figs, Jordanian guava and melons, Lebanese plums, Turkish nectarines, Indian avocados (quite different from American) and squashes, eggplant, and so on. Very delicious and I am finding great things to eat.

There is also pretty easy access to all things North American, especially if you're willing to pay, although most items are not as high-priced as I expected. The new Sultan Centre(think Safeway) in the new Al-Kout mall has a fabulous organics section plus a sushi bar and a juice bar.

That's another great thing here:there juice bars everywhere and you can get a full sized glass of fresh juice, or a shake-style drink with milk and honey for 500 -700 fils (this amounts to about $1.75-$2.75 Canadian).

Some of the very common foods I've been eating at social gatherings include: tabouleh (very much a parsley-based salad here, very little bulghur), hummus, baba gannouj, pita, salad (usually lettuce and tomato), potato salad made with a yogourt and herb dressing, a lovely corn salad made with a light dressing and minimal spices, and cheese bread (pita with a delicately flavoured cheese melted in it).

There was a big poolside potluck on Friday (known here as "virtual Sunday") night for all the staff. My friend Caroline and I had a great time making 12 rolls of sushi (two large trays) and we were the hit of the party! The only pieces left were those 3 token "I don't want to take the last piece" pieces. I learned in the process that Indian sesame is somewhat different than Chinese sesame in scent and flavour, but because India is closer than the "Far East", it's also considerably less costly.

Other information tidbits: The Middle East is known as the Near East here. In the last week I have learned a bit of Arabic vocabulary although I cannot spell it in English. I can say: hello, good-bye, yes, no and thank-you. The centre for Western and Arabic relations offers classes so I may go-it's twice a week, though and will be a bit of a nuisance to go home afterwards. At the same time, I think it would be worth it to meet other people and to be able to speak and UNDERSTAND some of the language. There is a word that sounds like my name and it confuses me every time I hear it. Very interesting, I am sure.

Masalaam (go in peace)

1 Comments:

  • I found the bit about the 49 degree temerature cap hilarious! That blows my mind! And I totally love the list of produce and yummy foods, ohhh babaganouj, you are so tasty. Everthing sounds very near perfect over there in the near east....
    sue

    By Blogger paisleypalace, at 10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home