.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Saturday, September 10, 2005

La vie est belle

As the wind rustles through palm trees, birds retreat in the leaves and greet passers-by with their songs. A few emaciated cats mew in hopes of food, water and love. The sun casts a warm light on campus and while the temperature is warming, it is not stifling (yet). I walk across campus to sign in and check my mailbox for the morning's information and chat with colleagues on the way back to my fortress. I sit at my desk to eat breakfast, then move to the computer to check messages and write something that is hopefully pleasant and descriptive of my life here.

It's 7:00am and my closest music colleague has usually been by at this point to check up on me as he does every morning. I must have missed him when I was signing in.

School is going well and I am finding the routine quite tolerable. I generally go to bed at 9:00pm, as unbelievable as that may seem. I get up at 4:00am to do forty-five minutes to an hour of yoga. Then I rush to get ready and catch the 5:50 bus to school, or catch a ride with my neighbour and fellow Canadian Kelly.

From my classroom window I have a view of the parking lot. From the windows of home, I have a view of the Arabian Gulf and often watch the sunrise while doing yoga. I wake up early enough to hear the first and second calls to prayer- the first is before sunrise and the second just after sunrise. It is a haunting sound, the sound of something larger than life, the sound of gratitude and commitment to a system of belief I may never fully understand.

On Thursday (virtual Saturday) the teachers all packed up to go to open house at the Hilton resort just down the road from where we live. The beach is gorgeous and the salty sea water is delightful. They provided a huge and delicious buffet lunch which included many salads, some Thai food, fruit and delectable desserts. After lunch I went back to the beach and into the sea to collect shells, visit and float in the water. Then I went to the spa pool which has jets from all directions providing a nice massage. Next my friend Caroline and I got horrible pedicures and decent eyebrow threading done. This part was not free, but it should have been. The pedicure was shameful and the polish choices were old, crummy bottles of cheap drug store style colours. I have already removed my messy polish.

Finally we went back to Starbucks for a second coffee of the day. I know I was opposed to Starbucks and you would think that here, from where we import coffee to North America, you would find great coffee but it really is not that easy. Arabic coffee is made with cardamom and its flavour and colour is more tea-like than anything. Turkish coffee is the consistency and colour of espresso flavoured with cardamom. It is quite delicious although not as common here as I had imagined. Brewed coffee in most places, even restaurants, is rare. Being white and asking for a coffee usually gets you an instant coffee (Nescafe) which is in no way satisfying. Hence my buckling acceptance of Starbucks. Hey, everyone has a vice.

Thursday night was the usual rugby party event. Think college dorm room packed with various people who have not yet figured out where they fit in. Think inflatable hot tub in the corner of the room, think loud and warm and so packed you can barely move. Welcome to my newfound social life, I doubt it will last.

Friday was audition and rehearsal for musical theatre, which will prove to be fun and entertaining for cast and audience. It was nice to get out and do some good singing with friends and some new people. The Kuwait Little theatre is big with the British community.

Then I was in bed by 9:00 and up by 4:00 to start a new work week. And so it goes.

All good things,
R

1 Comments:

  • Hey Ramona.

    Your early-rising is definitely an inspiration. Think I can pull it off (by it I do NOT mean 4 am, 6 maybe)??

    Jen

    By Blogger Anon, at 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home