.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Granola to Go

Thursday, October 28, 2010

A New Day

Hello People,

I must confess, since the dawning of facebok, I have become too lazy to write proper posts. Since having a television, I am too lazy to read books as often as I used to. How I Met Your Mother is a really funny show, Al Jazeera is a great news station with interesting inside reports and insights. Besides, the school provided me with a TV, so it's not like I sold out and bought one. But it's no excuse to leave it on and not read a book.

I have resolved, as of today, October 29, I will only watch TV when I am watching the news or a specific show. Otherwise, I will read or do other things. This will leave me more time to post on my blog, and so I also resolve to write at least one paragraph a day and post at least once a week. I do not have internet at home this year, so I am obliged to go to a coffee shop to upload posts, or, as I am now, do it at school.

My school day began as follows- I was supposed to cover for a teacher first block, since he was going on a field trip with the grade 7 class, and normally I have grade 7 band first block. Well, I heard from a student at 7:45 that they were coming to Fine Arts before going on the field trip at 9. This is not a big deal, but it is certainly indicative of how things go in the middle school here. So many things are such a huge waste of time, so poorly organized, almsot always the dead last minute. On the other hand, the school has inspired me to take a program in Leadership and Administration, so I can perhaps have a stronger influence, not here, but elsewhere, on how a school can function in a better way. My near future plans consist of applying for Masters in Leadership and Administration programs, probably entirely at Canadian universities. I may still apply for teaching jobs as a back up plan, but sometimes when I think of Canada, I can taste the cool clean air on my tongue, and I think it's time to go back for awhile. A Lebanese friend of mine with a Canadian passport is off to Toronto on Monday to look for work, and it's all I can do to hold back my envy.

I am finding more things to keep myself occupied in Beirut these days. I have been busy since August, first with work tasks, then in October, I began singing in the American University of Beirut choir, taking Arabic classes 3 times a week, playing handbells, and singing in a small vocal ensemble. This means every day but Mondays and Saturdays, I have something. Currently my weeks look like this: Sunday- vocal reheasal, 6:30-8:30; Tuesday- Arabic 5-7, Handbells 7:30-8:45; Wednesdays-AUB choir 6:30-8:45; Thursdays and Fridays Arabic 5-7. I have been walking across town to and from my Arabic class. It's not literally across town, but it is a 45 minute walk, which is good, because it's also built in exercise.

I have not decided if I will take another Arabic class right away. Choir is going to become more busy, and I think I will be unable to travel over our November break if I take the next session. That said, I am really enjoying the class, though, it's sometimes hard for me to process the information quickly enough to keep up in and outside of class. I shall see if I can manage it.

The weather here is slowly changing. Last weekend, I went on a lovely trip to the mountains with some friends. First, we drove through the Bekaa valley, which is famous for produce and vinyards. We stopped in at one of the nicest vinyards, sampled some wines, and then continued on to an ecolodge where we spent the night. The lodge is very basic, as implied by the name, and situated right in the middle of Hezbolloah territory. We heard some gun fire (target practice), but it was nothing compared to the construction going on next to my apartment building, so I was spared an entire Saturday of racket. It was great to be away from the heat, and the noise, light and air pollution of Beirut. There was a full moon and a starry sky, and nothing is more beautiful for me than cool air, a gorgeous moon, delicious food and good company. On Sunday, we headed back to Beirut, past fruit orchards where trees displayed autumn leaves. We also passed some mountain areas where there were no villages in sight. I think this is the only open space in Lebanon. I am sure the weekend revived my soul after a particularly difficult week.

All is well and I must go now to get some work done.

Be well. Even in the middle of nowhere, mind or place, be strong..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home